Wednesday 13 May 2015

Bunion Where Art Thou?

All the efforts of the human mind cannot exhaust the essence of a single fly.
 Thomas Aquinas

Well Wednesday halfway to the weekend. Another check up on the horizon for the scar to see if it's been successfully healed up. What I really want is a bath. I have been able to shower with the aid of the special plastic leg bag.

The skin of my foot ended up dry and flaky so to get to bathe it would rid me of all this dryness. So whilst I can't do that the nurse who changed my dressing told me to get this E45 cream. It's brilliant. I'm not much into the metro-sexual male grooming, moisturizing thing but it makes your feet really smooth. Superb


Well I have to say I'm not missing the bunion yet. That part of my foot that I actually grew from overusing using my foot in a particular way. But it is early days because the toe joint is stiff or at least that's how it feels because with all the repositioning of the big toe and tightening up of the tendons or muscles or whatever it is that holds your toe on a makes it all work needs breaking in like a pair of new shoes. Can't wait to get back to the gym.

"I said to the Gym instructor "Can you teach me to do the splits?" He said, "How flexible are you?" I said, "I can’t make Tuesdays"  Tommy Cooper


Had this for dinner last night courtesy of my son Tom's cooking and not a balls-up!.

Venison Meat Balls in a Creamy Sauce
Serves 2
 
300 g  Minced Venison
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Egg
Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbsp Plain Flour
75 g Breadcrumbs
1 tbsp chopped fresh mixed herbs, such as thyme and parsley
2 tbsp Oil
200 g  Spaghetti
salt and pepper
shredded fresh basil to garnish
300 ml Milk
50 g Plain Flour
Knob of Butter 40g
 
 
Mix together the venison, chopped onion, egg, splash of Worcestershire Sauce, breadcrumbs,  flour and herbs until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 18 portions. Lightly flour your hands, then roll the portions into neat balls.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the meatballs, rolling them gently from time to time, for 8–10 minutes or until they are browned all over. Use a draining spoon to remove the meatballs from the pan and set them aside.
 
Discard this oil but keep any bits in the pan. Add the butter and melt then stir in the flour to make a roux.
Mix in the milk gradually to make a sauce. If you have any white wine splash that in also. If the sauce is too thick thin it down with milk or water.
Taste, season with salt and pepper. then mix in the meatballs swirl around and serve.

We had spaghetti but goes well with any pasta, rice etc.

More recipes at cookingpete.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment